Author Sushant Published on June 25th 2019
‘The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.’ Travelling is food to one’s soul. Just like you can’t live without food for more than a week, you cannot live a better life without travelling once in a while. Even Dalai Lama said, “Once a year, go somewhere you have never been before.”
Below are listed 10 reasons why you should travel more often:
1. It gives you the much needed ‘break’: ’Jobs fill your pocket but adventure fills your soul.’ And sometimes all it takes to uplift your soul is to travel, relax, have fun and go on a vacation in the middle of a hectic schedule. This is the best way to take a break from your mundane life and a ruthless everyday routine. A change of landscapes, weather, and people, can definitely charge up your mind and replenish your soul.
2. Invest on Experiences that make you Happier: ’We are the sum total of our experiences’. Spending money on happiness makes us happier than spending it on material goods. Buying an expensive phone or clothes wouldn’t bring you the kind of happiness that travelling would! Because you are where you’ve been and not what you’ve bought.
3. A vision to see the world: ‘Don’t tell me how educated you’re. Tell me how much have you travelled.’ Travelling invokes inner wisdom and makes you smarter. It provides you a better vision to see the world. Opening up to the nature, environment, people and culture of different countries and places imparts in you a wiser, rational intellect thus making you smarter and better.
4. Gives you an energy boost: A regular routine makes us weary and dull. We need to energize our body from time to time, both physically and mentally. Travelling is one of the best ways to boost your energy. Trekking on mountains, swimming across the beaches, cycling around the roads of a foreign country and even walking past the streets of a beautiful place boosts a tremendous, unusual amount of energy in you.
5. It is fun: We, humans, need entertainment and fun in our lives. And adventures are the best way to induce those fun elements in yours. Stepping out of your comfort zone into the strange yet beautiful world of adventure is what travelling brings to you. ‘A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.’ Travelling more often provides you with your much needed doze of amusement.
6. Helps fight stress and boredom: ’I love places that make you realize how tiny you and your problems are.’ Travelling is a great stress reliever. It is also the best way to fight boredom. Instead of sitting all day long, getting bored, in the comfy shades of your house, go out and travel! Depression, stress, boredom, all of it can be overcome just by the therapy that travelling provides you. It saves you the money you were going to pay a psychologist and in return gives you pictures to post on your Instagram!😉
7. You explore more: It’s better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times. You must have read a lot about things to do, museums, food and culture of different places in magazines or on the internet, so why not just pay a visit? Exploring things in front of your eyes and senses is much better than just reading about it. ‘One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing and exploring things.’
8. More ‘me-time’: Time spent with yourself will be the most valuable time of your life. It helps you discover who you really are, what you’re capable of, what skills you possess, etc. Venturing out, experiencing new situations, and facing challenges will make you more self-dependent. Travelling might introduce you to skills you never knew you had, which clearly material belongings cannot!
9. Enhances communication skills: ’Human beings are highly social creatures. They cannot survive without society.’ But have you ever thought of society in a broader perspective? You won’t make many friends and contacts sitting at home. Besides, people you meet and relationships you build outside your hometown, will be rather everlasting, enriching and will give you a fresher perspective on life. You will learn to be more amiable and flexible to different cultures and languages around the world.
10. Strengthens Emotional Agility: ‘Investment in travel is an investment in yourself and your emotions.’ The use of travelling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are. Travelling gives us a control over our emotions. It leaves a deep and permanent impact on our minds, but always in a positive way.
Travelling is a therapy. Our experiences make us who we are. The freedom of being on the road with no deadlines or chores, and the everyday discovery of new destinations, foods, cultures and friends is all you’d ever need! In short, travelling is a great way to realign and find balance in your life, resulting in a happier, healthier you!