Author Sushant Published on June 28th 2019
A long road trip can be a therapeutic experience, but, on the flip side, it can also be quite an ordeal if you are stranded, away from home, without any documents related to your vehicle. You might just end up with a damaged vehicle, or without directions, or simply without a pre-booked hotel for your stay!
Therefore, in order to avoid these obstacles, here are 10 hacks to ensure a hassle-free road trip for yourself:
1. A vehicle check: This is one of the most crucial steps in preparing for a road trip. A vehicle check is a must to ensure an uninterrupted road trip. Below are listed the things you need to check in your vehicle to see if it is running properly and to ensure a safe journey:
- Change the engine oil of your car.
- Check the fluids.
- Check air pressure.
- Check the tire wear using tread gauge.
- Check car’s air filter.
- Make sure all car lights and signals are working.
- Check battery.
- Wash it and give it a test ride.
- Check the vehicle for pollution.
- Duplicate keys will help if you lock yourself out of the car.
2. Documents check: Did I bring my license? Where are the documents of the car? Did I forget to keep my debit card? These incautious questions revolve around your mind if you have done your packing in haste! So, let’s avoid packing in a hurry and keep the following documents in your carry-on bag to avoid unwanted situations:
- Driver’s license
- Debit card
- Identity cards
- Proof of accommodation/ hotel booking
- Pollution Under Control Certificate
- Registration Certificate of vehicle.
- Certificate of Insurance
3. Give proper time to packing: ‘Haste makes waste.’ Packing is a time taking activity if you want to do it right. It requires patience, time and an organised mind. Don’t rush it. Pack all the things you’d need in the trip. Leaving behind something important in a rush is something you don’t want to do.
4. Secure a map: If you are going to a place you have never been before or to a place you have less idea about, a map is going to be of utter use to you. It is always safer to have a map so that you know exactly where you’re heading without getting lost. Also, before leaving, study the map and plan your route.
5. Make a road trip itinerary: Plan your journey step by step. Your rest stops, restaurants along the route in which you’re going to have your meals, photography spots you are going to take a halt in, where you’re going to stay, everything. This will make your plans more clear and organised and will give everyone else in the car a fair idea about the trip.
6. Take proper sleep and keep an alternative driver: The risk, danger, and often tragic results of drowsy driving are alarming. Therefore, the best way to make sure your mind and body are in optimal driving shape is to plan ahead and get 7-8 hours of sleep before your drive. Also, make sure you do not take all the load on yourself while driving by having a second driver in the vehicle to share the load with you. Also, keep taking rest at stops.
7. Keep medicines handy: A first-aid kit and medicines for common ailments such as carsickness, colds, headaches, upset stomachs, etc. should always be kept handy in a road trip. You never know what health situations may arise at what time. So, be prepared and have precautions.
8. Carry enough water and snacks: You might never know when you run out of water and if stuck in a long highway, it is very difficult to find clean and fresh water. You can carry a good amount of snacks and water with you for emergencies, the advantage being the car having the much-needed space.
9. Have sufficient cash and loose change: If you land in a remote area, debit cards usually don’t help there so if you’d need food or accommodation, you would need cash. Though not a lot of cash needs to be kept in the car as it won’t be very safe, keep an enough cash for emergencies and undesirable situations.
10. Book rooms and event tickets in advance: Pre-booking of hotel rooms and event tickets is another must take precaution. This will save you a lot of hassle in case the hotel you are planning to stay in is out of rooms, i.e. has been fully accommodated. Thus, saving you the last-minute rush and tensions.
So, instead of landing yourself in regrettable troubles during your road trip, make sure you take help from these 10 hacks and ensure a smoother, pleasant, fun road trip. Happy Tripping!